The Tiptop Audio ‘TOMS909’ is a Voltage-Controlled Analog Toms generator. The TOMS909 brings to the Eurorack Modular System the warmth of the classic all-analog punchy tom-toms from the legendary TR-909 drum machine, further expanding the Tiptop Audio modular music production system.
The TOMS909 contains all three of the Roland TR-909’s original Low, Mid, and High tom-tom circuits adapted for use in the Eurorack modular synthesizer format. The module was tested to sound like a fresh machine coming off the assembly line back in the 80’s. To add flavor to the beast, Tiptop Audio have extended each tom’s tuning range so it’s easier to dial soft bass drums on the lower ends and high-pitched toms on the other. In addition, all three toms are voltage-controlled, letting users play the tom’s pitch with CV sequencers like the Z8000, reshape the tuning with envelopes and LFOs, and create new metallic sounding percussive sounds using audio rate frequency modulation of the internal analog oscillators.
The toms circuitry is made up of 9 triangle oscillators and a stack of filters, VCAs, and envelopes which, in total, took about half of the space on the original 909’s circuit board. Utilizing the latest in electronic design technology, Tiptop Audio have managed to squeeze this enormous circuit, consisting of more than 450 components, into an area only 16HP wide. It is a beautiful board with hundreds of tiny, shiny components, it’a a little analog jewel!
Each tom-tom includes a trigger and accent input with accent level control, manual tune, voltage-controlled tune input with attenuator, and independent audio out. In addition, a MIX out is available that sums all three tom-toms together. On each gate input, Tiptop Audio have designed a dual pulse-shaper circuit so users can trigger the TOMS909 with Trigger/Gate signals from sequencers or any other pulse/clock sources.
- Tiptop Audio TOMS909 Voltage-Controlled Analog Tom-Toms Drum Module
- Roland Tr-909’s Original Low, Mid, and High Tom-Tom Circuits adapted for use in the Eurorack Modular Synthesizer Format
- The Warmth of Classic All-Analog Punchy Tom-Toms to further expand the Tiptop Modular Music Production System
- Featuring extended Tom-Tom Tuning Range to easily dial in soft bass drums on the lower ends and high-pitched toms on the other
- All 3 Tom-Toms feature Voltage-Controlled Pitch Tuning
- Create new metallic sounding percussive sounds using Audio Rate Frequency Modulation of the Internal Analog Oscillators
- The TOMS909 Circuitry is made up of 9 Triangle Oscillators and a stack of Filters, VCAs, and Envelopes
- Each Tom-Tom includes: GATE IN, Accent IN, Accent Level Control, VC-Tune Input, VC-Tune Control, Manual Tune Control, Decay Control, and Level Control
- Outputs: LOW OUT, MID OUT, HIGH OUT, MIX OUT
Questions on TOMS909 Toms - 16HP
No questions asked yet
Ask Your Own Question
- Eurorack Module
- 16 HP Width
- 51mm Depth
- Current Draw: 120mA @ +12V, 100mA @ -12V