The Tiptop Audio ‘BD909’ is an identical recreation, via reverse-engineering, of the original all-analog drum circuit of the TR-909. Tiptop Audio have added additional controls and synthesis features that turn this classic circuit into a chest-pounding analog bass drum laboratory — all tightly packed into an 8HP module. The BD909 sound differs from Tiptop’s BD808 in that the main sonic energy is centered in the mid to low frequency range (as opposed to the low frequency range of the BD808). This frequency range gives the needed headroom allowing bass lines to deeply fill up the low end while the kick drum rides on top — creating a clear and punchy mix.
The BD909 includes all the controls found in the original: Attack, Decay, Tune Decay, Accent, and Level. Tiptop have gone beyond that and added controls that further increase the palette of sound this circuit is capable of. First off, they have added a tuning control knob for the oscillator and included its own CV input and attenuator that let users tune their 909 kick with their bass lines. Next, they added control knobs for the tuning attack and extending tuning decay — each one affects the other, allowing for very intuitive and interactive sound shaping — this feature opens up numerous “sweet spots”, and provides the ability to center the energy peak at different parts of the sound. Finally, Tiptop’s BD909 offers additional punch and distortion by giving complete control over the internal waveshaper, which allows users to overload the waveform manually or with voltage-control.
Beginning with the classic and pure sound of the TR-909 kick, these additional functions greatly expand the BD909’s flexibility and let it create powerful analog bass drums that range from soft and smooth to punchy and aggressive — and everything in between.
- Tiptop Audio BD909 Analog Bass Drum
- Identical Recreation via Reverse-Engineering of the Original All-Analog Drum Circuit of the Roland TR-909
- Featuring Added Controls and Synthesis Features that turn this classic circuit into a chest-pounding analog bass drum laboratory
- Sonic Energy centered in the Mid to Low Frequency Range — Keeps the bass drum clear and punchy through mixes
- Features all controls found in the original: Attack, Decay, Tune Decay, Accent, and Level
- Inputs: Accent, Gate, VC-Tune, VC-Overload
- Outputs: BD OUT
- Controls: Overload, Level, Attack, Decay, Tune-Attack, Tune-Decay, OSC-Tune, Accent, VC-Tune
Questions on BD909 Bass Drum - 8HP
No questions asked yet
Ask Your Own Question
- Eurorack Module
- 8 HP Width
- 36mm Depth
- Current Draw: 34mA @ +12V, 21mA @ -12V