Sinclastic - stolen treasure - from Old English sinc 'treasure', from Greek clastic 'easily removable' Empulatrix - - from Javanese empu 'an honorific title for craftsmen' with suffix -trix from Proto-Indo-European forming a feminine noun with a negative connotation "stolen treasure from a bad craftswoman"
Sinclastic Empulatrix is a 4HP envelope generator with a voltage controlled clamp. The envelope generator is an exponential curve with controllable attack and release. The time ranges for both attack and release vary from 50 microseconds to 5 seconds. This is normaled to a voltage controlled clamp which acts much like a VCA but with subtle distortion added on the release. The envelope in Sinclastic Empulatrix is a simple asymmetric voltage controlled slew so the ENVELOPE IN input need not be a gate. The attack controls the rate of voltage increase and release controls the rate of decrease. If ENVELOPE IN is a square wave it acts much like a traditional envelope generator. The inspiration of the Sinclastic Empulatrix is the brilliant minimal design of the envelopes in the Roland TR-808 which use both simple capacitor charging for envelope generation and minimum voltage circuits for VCA like behavior.
- Inspired by the simple, yet remarkably clever, envelopes used in the cymbals of the TR-808.
- Simple exponential decays are applied to the signal via clamping rather than the more typical scaling.
- With binary signals, such as a square wave, a clamping VCA will sound like a typical VCA. For analog signals it will add a clipping effect that gets stronger as the envelope decays.
- Control knobs for attack and release.
- Controlled by gate inputs that determine the timing of the envelope.
- The envelope is also scaled by the voltage of the gate so it can be used to control the amplitude of the envelope.
- Simple input and output for the clamping VCA. It is DC-coupled so is suitable for control voltages and can be used without the envelope generator by turning the attack and release fully counter-clockwise and driving the gate with an analog CV.
- This module can also be used as an asymetric slew: the envelope output will track the gate input but will be slewed by the attack and release times based on relative voltage.
Questions on Sinclastic Empulatrix Envelope / VCA - 4HP
No questions asked yet
Ask Your Own Question
- 4 HP
- Standard Eurorack Power
- +12V @ 15mA ; -12V @ 25mA