The Studio Electronics ’SE88’ Modstar Filter module is their version of the boxy, Blade Runner-sweet and Boomstar-brash dual mode CS80 filter, initially married to the Omega Series Synths, the SE88 Filter now joins the Modstar Collective. Studio Electronics has twisted and turned the SE88 to unflatten the earth, so to speak; the original CS80 fed a HP filter into a LP filter, but with the SE88 users can select MODE 1's HP or BP to feed MODE 2's LP or BP, or patch it to reverse that pleasant path. The audio signal is completely controllable with input and output levels for each filter. Cherish and respect the filter input gain stage, for a smooth yet often brassy sound; shed all mercy to strike hard for boiling, snarling bite even to the blackout/cutout point — then uniquely been mode settings for versatile sounds!
To get things merrily modulating, each filter employs attenuverters for frequency and resonance experimentation and decimation. While the SE88 does not self oscillate (Yamaha's creation didn't either), Studio Electronics did amp up the resonance level for full-throttle squelching. An additional master FM (frequency modulation) attenuverter-controlled level can feed both filters (when hungry enough) simultaneously, and tracking switches allow for individual keyboard response for each of the contrasting and complimentary filter modes!
- Five attenuverter and eight attenuation pots control the Frequency mode 1, FM in, Frequency mode 2, Resonance, M1 FM, Resonance, M1 Res CV 1, M2 Res CV, Input, M2 FM, Output, Level (M1 Out), and Level (M2 Out).
- 2/3 - 1/3 Track (M1), Full - Half track (M2), HP - BP, LP - BP.
- Frequency Mode 1 – Adjusts the frequency, or cutoff of Mode 1.2/3 - 1/3 TRACK - Toggles tracking options for Mode 1.
- FM In - Adjusts the master frequency modulation input.FULL - HALF TRACK - Toggles tracking options for Mode 2.
- Frequency Mode 2 - Adjusts the frequency, or cutoff of Mode 2.
- Resonance 1 – Adjusts the resonance of Mode 1's filter.
- M1 FM - Adjusts Mode 1's frequency modulation.
- Resonance 2 – Adjusts the resonance of the Mode 2's filter.
- HP / BP - Toggles the High-Pass and Band-Pass option.
- M1 Res CV – Adjusts Mode 1's resonance control voltage.
- M2 Res CV – Adjusts Mode 2's resonance control voltage.INPUT – Adjusts the master audio input.
- M2 FM – Adjusts Mode 2's frequency modulation.
- Output – Adjust the audio output. 1 V/O – One volt per octave control voltage input.
- FM In – Master frequency modulation input.
- M1 FM – Mode 1 frequency modulation input.
- M2 FM – Mode 2 frequency modulation input.
- M1 Res CV – Mode 1 resonance control voltage input.
- M2 Res CV – Mode 2 resonance control voltage input.
- M1 In – Mode 1 input.
- Level – Level control for Mode 1.
- M1 Out – Mode 1 output.
- M2 In – Mode 2 input.
- Level – Level control for Mode 2.
- M2 Out – Mode 2 output.
Questions on Boomstar SE88 CS-80 Style Filter - 20HP
No questions asked yet
Ask Your Own Question
- Eurorack Module
- 20 HP Width
- 40mm Depth
- Current Draw: TBD @ ±12V