The TR-8 is a performance oriented rhythm machine that blends the legendary sound and vibe of the classic TR-808 and TR-909 with features and functions relevant to the modern age of music production. Genre-defining sounds, classic effects, unparalleled live pattern manipulation, and sturdy, intuitive performance controls. It is the TR…evolved.
In developing the TR-8, Roland has carefully analyzed and meticulously recreated every little detail and nuance of the analog circuitry found in these legendary rhythm machines—the boom and snap of the 808; the dirty thud of the 909; the robot like click of an 808 rim shot or a ubiquitous 909 snare roll. It’s all back. But not just content with mere recreations, Roland has enhanced these classic instruments with abilities that go well beyond the original units.
Tune and Decay controls are now available on every instrument, and the Bass Drum and Snare Drum also feature additional controls such as Attack, Snappy, and Comp. These allow for a wide variety of tones, from subtle ambient percussion to huge pounding dance grooves. Per-step effects and the hugely addictive Scatter function take things into entirely uncharted territory.
With the authentic tone and characteristics of the original units and enhanced sound-tweaking capabilities inspired by hoards of users, the TR-8 breathes new life into the percussion tones we all know and love.
Make no mistake—the TR-8 has been painstakingly designed from the ground up as a playable instrument. Every control features a solid, predictable feel, with each drum instrument featuring robust, “playable” faders. Numerous lighted controls and RGB buttons provide both real-time performance feedback and a stunning appearance on stage.
Pattern creation is intuitive and creative using a highly evolved version of the TR-REC method, which originated in the TR-808 and eventually became the standard in electronic rhythm programming. Based around detailed analysis of the original TR-808, the TR-REC functionality has been faithfully recreated in the TR-8. But the TR-8 goes far beyond the original, allowing users to effortlessly go between programming and performance modes, and to introduce tons of groovy rhythmic variations from subtle snare fills to totally glitched out meltdowns.
What is Scatter? Scatter is a interesting performance function that enables detailed real-time control of variations in patterns as well as any incoming external input signal. Scatter can reverse, glitch, gate, truncate, stutter, and perform a variety of rhythmic variations from subtle to extreme, and all in perfect sync. Pick from 10 different Scatter types and smoothly adjust the intensity—or “Scatter Depth”—with the large, ergonomic dial. Easily switch between Scatter patterns and quickly switch Scatter on/off for cool variations when and where they are wanted.
The TR-8 looks great and is designed to function flawlessly with other products in the AIRA lineup. In addition, users can connect the TR-8 to a computer over USB to send and receive both audio and MIDI data, including MIDI clock data for syncing with external devices and other AIRA products.
- Full reproduction of the classic TR-808 and TR-909 rhythm machines, based on original design spec sheets and detailed analog circuit analysis of many original TR machines, including Roland’s own pristine units
- Newly developed Analog Circuit Behavior (ACB) technology allows part-by-part analyses and faithful recreation of tonality and behavior, including the smooth variations of tone that occur when you work the controls of each instrument
- Obsessive attention to detail, such as reproducing the original TR’s unique variations in tone that occur when multiple instruments are entered in accented steps
- Authentic 16-step sequencer with faithful TR-REC behavior, including A and B pattern variations and the ability to play instruments and record to steps in real time
- 16 stunning kits made up of 11 instrument types, including custom dream kits that use both TR-808 and TR-909 sounds
- Large Tempo knob with Tap Tempo button and continuous Fine and Shuffle adjustment knobs
- Control the intensity of the Accent function with a dedicated knob
- Per-step reverb and delay effects with dedicated knobs
- Mix sources connected to the External In jacks with built-in per-step Side Chain function for rhythmic ducking and gating effects
- Scatter lets you freak and tweak your grooves with real-time control and perfect sync
- 7 segment, 4 character LED display and 16 per-step pads with bold, full-color LEDs
- Real-time pattern creation up to 32 steps with on-the-fly step count adjustment
- Rec/Play modes have been eliminated, enabling seamless switching between step input and real-time pattern making and performance
- Real-time play of 4 different types of rolls (8th, 16th, VARI 1, VARI 2) and per-instrument mutes
- Pattern copy and pattern randomization for rapid, spontaneous creativity
- Two assignable analog outputs and full parallel outputs via USB for total mixing flexibility
Questions on Aira TR-8 Rhythm Performer
No questions asked yet
Ask Your Own Question
- User Drum Kits: 16
- User Patterns: 16
- Steps per 1 measure: 1 – 16 steps x 2 (Variation A/B)
- Tempo: 40 – 300
- Instruments & Controls: BASS DRUM: LEVEL, TUNE, ATTACK, COMP, DECAY, INST SELECT. SNARE DRUM: LEVEL, TUNE, SNAPPY, COMP, DECAY, INST SELECT
- LOW TOM, MID TOM, HIGH TOM, RIM SHOT, HAND CLAP, CLOSED HIHAT, OPEN HIHAT, CRASH CYMBAL, RIDE CYMBAL: LEVEL, TUNE, DECAY, INST SELECT
- Effects and Controls: ACCENT: LEVEL, STEP. REVERB: LEVEL, TIME, GATE, STEP. DELAY: LEVEL, TIME, FEEDBACK, STEP. EXTERNAL IN: LEVEL, SIDE CHAIN, STEP
- Mode: TR-REC, PATTERN SELECT, INST PLAY, INST REC, DRUM KIT SEL, DRUM INST SEL
- Controllers: VOLUME knob, SCATTER knob, TEMPO knob, FINE knob, SHUFFLE knob, PADS: 16, MODE buttons: 6, CLEAR button, VARIATION buttons: A, B,
- SCALE button, LAST STEP button, START/STOP button, SCATTER ON button, SCATTER DEPTH button, TAP button, Power Switch (Rear), Display, 7 segments,
- 4 characters , (LED), Effects, REVERB, DELAY, SIDE CHAIN
- Scatter Types: 10
- Nominal Input Level: -10 dBu
- Input Impedance: 100 k ohms
- Nominal Output Level: -10/+4 dBu (Selectable)
- Output Impedance: MIX OUT, ASSIGNABLE OUT: 1 k ohm
- PHONES: 130 ohms
- Connectors: PHONES jack: 1/4-inch stereo phone type, MIX OUT (L/MONO, R) jacks: 1/4-inch phone type, ASSIGNABLE OUT (A, B) jacks: 1/4-inch phone type,
- EXTERNAL IN (L, R) jacks: 1/4-inch phone type, USB port: USB type B (Audio, MIDI), DC IN jack
- USB: Audio, MIDI
- Power Supply: AC adaptor
- Current Draw: 1,000 mA
- Accessories: Owner's manual, Leaflet "USING THE UNIT SAFELY", AC adaptor
- Size and Weight: Width 400 mm 15-3/4 inches, Depth 260mm 10-1/4 inches, Height 65 mm 2-9/16 inches, Weight 1.9 kg 4 lbs. 4 oz.