The Really Nice Levelling Amplifier (RNLA) is a compressor, of sorts, with a character that works well with vocals, bass guitar, acoustic guitars and two-mix sources. A friend describes the RNLA's tone as "thick and gooey". Some very well-outfitted RNLA users report that even with a full complement of expensive, vintage levelling amps/compressors, the RNLA still fills a niche that the others don't!
The sonic performance of the RNLA harkens back to the Really Nice Compressor's (RNC's) origins. The original RNC was, in fact, based upon an optical gain element that was ultimately rejected (and tucked away) due to its imparting of a sonic signature (i.e., "color"). However, just like trying to throw away a ball of adhesive tape, this one has also stuck with (to?) us! What's the old saying? What's old, is new again? The implementation is a little different (i.e., no opto) from the 1984 version, but the final sound is eerily similar.
- Wide Dynamic Range
- Ugly and Cheesy Box
- Easy-to-read Panel Graphics
- Inputs and Inserts
- Balanced Outputs
- Precise Gain Reduction Metering
- Full Parametric Control
- Alternative Release Contour
- Hardwired Bypass
- Made in the U.S.A.
Questions on RNLA Really Nice Leveling Amp
No questions asked yet
Ask Your Own Question
- Size: 1/3 x 1 EIA rack unit
- Connectors: Left/Right 1/4" unbalanced inputs (TS, or TRS for console inserts) Left/Right 1/4" balanced, single-ended outputs TRS sidechain
- Controls and Displays: Rotary: Threshold, Ratio, Attack Time, Release Time, Output Level
- Switches: Bypass, Mode Select
- Meter: 8-segment LED Gain Reduction, 0-16 dB
- Normal: Provides fast attack/release
- Log Rel: Provides release envelope acceleration to aid maintenance of transient "punch"
- Operating Level: 0.775 Vrms (0 dBu) nominal for +22 dB headroom 1.228 Vrms (+4 dBu) nominal for +18 dB headroom
- Noise: Less than -90 dBu over 20-20k Hz (Typically -95 dBu over 20-20k Hz)
- Frequency response: 10 - 100k Hz ±0.5dB @ 0 dBu
- Clip point: +22.5dBu @ 3% THD, 1kHz, greater than 2k Ohm load
- Less than 0.1%, no gain reduction @ 1 kHz, 0 dBu
- Less than 0.5%, 6 dB G.R. @ 1 kHz, 6:1, 6.0 msec attack, 0.5 sec. release, 0 dB gain, 0 dBu
- Threshold range: -40dBu to +20dBu
- Ratio range: 1:1 to 25:1
- Attack range: 0.2 msec to 200msec for 100% correction with <15dB over threshold input signal
- Release range: 05 sec to 5.0 sec for 100% recovery with 15dB G.R.
- Output trim range: ±15dB
- AC Power: Wall transformer, 9VAC @ 500mA, 2.1mm jack
- Dimensions: 5.5" x 5.5" x 1.6"