Based upon the successful Really Nice Compressor, this variation not only fits the increasingly popular API500 series rack, but delivers an improved dynamic fidelity befitting the format! This dynamic-range compressor provides positive signal control while leveraging its pedigree for simultaneously reducing collateral sonic damage.
Additionally, FMR added some thoughtful features that most folks won't overtly notice, but will be glad that they're there: overcurrent protection prevents a rare failure from bringing down your whole 500-series rack, an early-warning power supply detection that causes the RNC500 to enter bypass—irrespective of the front panel switch position—to avoid power-down "pops", a robust 18 guage electro-galvanized enclosure that keeps the delicate electronics safe from harm and helps protect against Electromagnetic Interference (EMI) from affecting things inside or outside of the enclosure.
As with the original RNC, the RNC500 can exhibit a sonic neutrality while giving the recordist a level-of-control difficult to obtain without adding unwanted artifacts. Unlike the original RNC, however, the RNC500 possesses a sonic "beefiness"—a growl, if you will—that adds a slight, but very compliant, bottom-end to the source material.
Years ago, FMR designed a multi-channel RNC for London's famed Air Studios. It was with that device that they first encountered an RNC with extra "heft". It turns out that much of this "un-RNC like" growl is a result of the higher operating I/O levels like those present on the RNC500. It seems that the harder the RNC500 is hit, the heftier the sound. Overall, FMR still characterizes the RNC500 as "clean", but with a hint of attitude...that's under your control!
- Single-channel, 500-series version of the RNC
- Balanced input & output
- Linkable for stereo operation - The main rack must provide linking mechanism on the connector backplane. Consult your rack manual for details
- Maximum input/output levels of +28dBu
- Overcurrent protection circuits safeguard 500-series rack operation in case of power supply faults
- 24-bit arithmetic for smoother compression
- SuperNice & Normal modes
Questions on RNC500 500 Series Really Nice Compressor
No questions asked yet
Ask Your Own Question
- 500 Series Format Compressor
- Accurate signal level metering via power-saving "dot" gain-reduction display
- Sealed, C&K subminiature toggle switches
- Blue-anodized, machined aluminum knobs