The Prophet-6 desktop module is every bit as powerful and easy to use as its counterpart, the Prophet-6 Keyboard. The module has all of the same controls as the keyboard version and provides the same immediacy and ease of use — with absolutely no menu diving. As with the Prophet-6 Keyboard, all parameters are at your fingertips, with full-sized knobs and switches and a comfortable, intuitive layout.
How does it sound? Awesome — just like the keyboard, because on the inside, it’s exactly the same. The same analog signal path with discrete VCOs and VCFs. The same high-quality digital effects. The same classic sound that has been earning raves from customers and reviewers alike.
We’ve also added a poly chain feature so that any two Prophet-6s can be paired for twelve-voice polyphony!
Both the Prophet-6 desktop module and keyboard are Dave Smith’s tribute to the poly synth that started it all—the Sequential Prophet-5. But it’s not simply a reissue of a classic. Rather, as Dave puts it, “It’s the result of our effort to build the most awesome-sounding, modern analog poly synth possible.” The Prophet-6 takes the best qualities of the original Prophet-5—true voltage-controlled oscillators, filters, and amplifiers—and adds enhancements such as studio-quality effects, a polyphonic step sequencer, an arpeggiator, and more. The result is pure, unadulterated analog tone with the stability and reliability of a state-of-the-art modern synth.
Central to the warm, punchy sound of the Prophet-6 are its two newly-designed, discrete voltage-controlled oscillators (plus sub-oscillator) per voice. Continuously variable waveshapes provide the tonal palette with triangle, sawtooth, and variable-width pulse waves. There are two discrete filters per voice—a four-pole, resonant, low-pass inspired by the original Prophet-5 filter, and a two-pole, resonant, high-pass filter. Voltage-controlled amplifiers complete the all-analog signal path.
The dual effects section provides studio-quality reverbs, delays (standard and BBD), chorus and phase shifter. While the effects themselves are digital, with 24-bit, 48 kHz resolution, a true bypass maintains a full analog signal path. There’s also an independent stereo distortion effect, which is 100% analog.
Also present from its classic predecessor is a Poly Mod section, with enhancements. True to the original, modulation sources are filter envelope and oscillator 2 (both with bi-polar control). Destinations include oscillator 1 frequency, oscillator 1 shape, oscillator 1 pulse width, low-pass filter cutoff, and high-pass filter cutoff. Another welcome reprise is Unison mode, which features configurable voice count (1-6 voices) and key modes. The polyphonic step sequencer allows up to 64 steps and up to 6 notes per step. You can create sequences polyphonically, with rests, and sync to an external MIDI clock. The full-featured arpeggiator can be synced to external MIDI clock as well.
The knob-per-function front panel offers instant access to virtually all Prophet-6 functions. Included are 500 permanent factory programs and 500 rewritable user programs. Toggling off the Preset button enables live panel mode, in which the sound of the Prophet-6 switches to the current settings of its knobs and switches. In this state, what you see is what you hear.
All of this awe-inspiring sound is packed into a desktop module that’s small enough to fit in a backpack. It’s an ideal combination of portability and power for the project studio or the gigging musician.
- Two newly designed discrete VCO's per voice
- Continuously variable waveshape from Triangle, Sawtooth to Pulse, per oscillator
- Oscillator slop amount for increased tuning instability, from subtle to extreme
- Mixer with volume controls for Osc 1, a sub octave for Osc 1, Osc 2 and a white noise source
- Two-pole, resonant high-pass filter per voice with velocity modulation and keyboard tracking
- Four-pole, resonant low pass filter per voice with self-oscillating resonance and keyboard tracking
- Four stage ADSR envelope generator for both the Filter and Amplifier
- Amplifier envelope has velocity sensitivity
- Low Frequency Oscillator with five wave shapes, tri, saw, reverse saw (ramp), square and a random sample % hold.
- Arpeggiator with selectable note length value with up, down, up/down, random and assign arp modes.
- Polyphonic sequencer with up to 64 steps and rests
- Stereo Analog distortion, Dual 24-bit, 48 kHz digital effects including Reverb, Delay, Chorus and Phase Shifter
- Patch Memory: 500 user and 500 factory programs in 10 banks of 100 programs each.
Questions on Prophet 6 Desktop Module
No questions asked yet
Ask Your Own Question
- Left and Right audio outputs (2 x 1/4" jacks)
- Headphone output (Stereo, 1/4" jack)
- MIDI in, out and thru ports
- USB for bidirectional MIDI communication
- Pow-pass filter cutoff expression pedal
- Power: IEC AC power inlet for internal power supply
- Operates worldwide on voltages between 100 and 240 volts at 50 to 60 Hz; 30 watts maximum power consumption
- Dimensions: 21.25” L x 7.43” W x 4.4″ H (54.0 cm x 18.9 cm x 11.2 cm)