The Olegtron 4060 is a compact oscillator/divider box able to create unique signals and sequences via a revolutionary programming method which consists of sticking components directly into it’s patchboard! The device can function as a standalone sound generator which connects with a 3.5mm stereo jack output or to send complex control signals to a huge variety of machines.
Learning the 4060 is simple, but there is also a lot to master. Using it doesn’t require any previous electronics skills, however experimenting with different components helps users get an idea of how they work, and programming can become more systematic. The resistors and small capacitors are color coded for convenience.
The title of the device comes from the CD4060, which is an integrated circuit, or chip. It belongs to a line of CMOS logic chips called 4000B and it interfaces with other chips of the series flawlessly. The series dates back all the way to the sixties, but is still useful in sound electronics and DIY. The CD4060 features an oscillator with adjustable frequency and a divider, which outputs 10 different subfrequencies.
The Olegtron 4060 is modeled after an RC-oscillator example from CD4060 datasheet, with the inclusion of a current limiting "starve"-potentiometer known in the world of circuit bending. The rest is just user interface design, featuring of course the innovative patchboard that makes a perfect platform for experimentation.
The Olegtron 4060 ships with a loaded bag of components to get started with (see ´getting started´ in the pdf manual). All that's needed is a standard 9v battery and something that connects to a 3,5mm headphone jack.
The 7 Bit Saw module turns 7 of the highest frequencies of 4060 into a stepped (128 steps) sawtooth waveform. The module provides users with another timbre, but makes getting started easier too: no patching of any components needed to get a sound out!
- Stand alone sound generator: plug in to your amp or headphones (start with low volume!)
- Synth control: send CV, clock and gate signals to your synth and from the synth to 4060
- Bipolar signal generator: TRS connector ground can be set to any signal (internal jumper)
- Circuit bending: trigger toy buttons and modulate pitch with the signals
- Electronics lab: generates 10 bits of test signal usable in various projects
- Sound manipulation: feed amplified signals to 4060 and output them with a no-fi flavor
- Light sequencing: connect single- or multicolored LEDs straight or via a driver
- Drive micro motors directly (internal 180R starve resistor must be shorted) or with a driver
- Combine above uses and keep everything in the same fluctuating sync
- 7 Bit Saw module
Questions on 4060 Compact Oscillator / Divider Box With 7 Bit Saw
No questions asked yet
Ask Your Own Question
- Frequency range presettable with an internal capacitor
- 3,5mm stereo connector for inputting and outputting signals
- Light weight but durable computer grey plastic enclosure
- Uses one standard 9 volt battery
- Ships with a set of basic electronic components and getting started info
- Resistors and small capacitors are custom color coded for ease of use
- Through hole components
- Factory manufactured PCB
- Carries the European Union CE-marking
- RoHS compliant