The Modal 008R is the rackmount version of their powerful 008 polyphonic analog keyboard synthesizer. Offering eight discrete voices and a superbly warm analog architecture, the 008R is an incredibly flexible offering for anyone looking for a huge analog sound with a small footprint.
Each voice is comprised of up to two oscillators and two sub oscillators, each offering saw, triangle, pulse, triangle, and noise settings. And of course, different waveforms may be blended together for unique combinations of timbres. These thick, powerful oscillators then pass through Modal's flexible multimode filter, featuring classic and completely unique filter modes.
The 008R also offers two LFOs and nine other modulation sources with an unlimited number of destinations, each with individually assignable depth. Additional control sources include an incredibly powerful multi-row, 32-step sequencer and a fully-featured arpeggiator with hold mode. As with their previous offerings, the 008R also features the Animator, which allows sequencing of any controllable parameter in the 008R for a variety of interesting changes to uncommonly-controlled parameters, including modulation matrix routings, filter types, and far more.
It might seem like that is all too much to handle for a rackmount unit, but Modal has kept user interaction at the front of their developments: a super high-quality 4.3" screen provides visual feedback that responds to what knobs/buttons you are using, making sure the display is always in sync with what you are doing. Eight "quick recall" banks allow easy access to presets, sequences, and animations, making live performance patch switching easy. Furthermore, the 008R is compatible with the Modal Web Interface, allowing you to use your browser to control and edit all of the instrument's functions.
The 008R is a lot of synth in a small space. And while many rack units become a labor to use, the 008R comes ready for user interaction. Out of the box, it is ready to use and will sound amazing as part of your studio or live rig.
- Up to eight voices of analog polyphony
- Bitimbral and stacked/unison modes for huge, complex sounds
- Unique filter modes with extreme overdrive and FM
- 11 modulation sources with unlimited destinations, each with assignable depth
- 2 track, 12 row, 32 step sequencer
- Integrated arpeggiator
- Animator allows sequencing of any controllable parameter
- Ethernet connection for updates and access to Modal Electronics cloud features
- Modal Web Interface allows control and editing of your 008R from your browser
- Audio inputs for modifying external sources
- MIDI In/Out/Thru
Questions on 008R Rackmount Analog Synthesizer
No questions asked yet
Ask Your Own Question
- Outputs: XLR / 1/4" combo; analog output via DB15 connector
- Inputs: 1/4"
- MIDI: USB/dedicated DIN In/Out/Thru
- 3U, standard 19" rack size