The Prism Sound Maselec MEA-2 is a stereo or two-channel, four-band precision analogue equalizer with variable Q/shelf, frequency and cut/boost controls on each band. The MEA-2 Precision Stereo Equalizer is designed for recording and mastering applications where ultimate sonic performance, musicality and precision are required.
Top recording and mastering engineers still use some analogue signal processing equipment, finding the familiar correlation between sound and control better to work with. However, most analogue equalizers have either continuously variable controls, making precise adjustments difficult, or just a few coarsely-stepped controls. Many fail to meet the standards of audio performance consistent with digital delivery media. The MEA-2 provides fully-stepped controls for precision and repeatability for all parameters.
Design philosophy for the Maselec Master Series
The first to appear in the range of Maselec Master Series products, the MEA-2 was developed for Prism Sound by engineer/producer Leif Mases. Leif's work with a diverse range of artists including Abba, Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath provided the essential experience using the "tools of the trade" needed to define and implement new and improved professional audio components. Also qualified in electronic design, Leif Mases developed the highly acclaimed Maselec 9001 retrofit equalizer for SSL 4000 mixing consoles used in top film and recording studios. Later, Leif teamed up with Prism Sound to provide the Maselec Master Series which embodies the ideals of technical excellence and creative capability that both share.
The sound of the MEA-2
The MEA-2 is a very special equalizer that has been designed to achieve a certain sound. It has a distinctive character, discernable both sonically and in the unique shape of its EQ curves. It provides the warmth, punch or air you need with a minimum of effort and without compromising the signal path. There's no easy way to describe it though, so contact us now to arrange a demo. Great sounding EQ is right behind the controls.
- Four separate shelf/bell switchable equalizer sections per channel
- Unique equalization characteristics, optimized through extensive listening tests
- Precision stepped controls for accuracy and repeatability
- Overlapping frequency ranges with 84 settings per channel
- Excellent channel-to-channel matching
- Interactive cut/boost and bandwidth controls for more natural operation
- Low noise and wide dynamic range
- Electronically balanced inputs and outputs
Questions on MAE-2 Parametric Mastering Equalizer
No questions asked yet
Ask Your Own Question
- Maximum boost/cut: 8dB/section
- Minimum boost/cut: 0.5dB
- Frequency settings: 19Hz to 27kHz
- Maximum I/O Level: +29dBu
- Distortion: <0.001%
- Output noise (typical set-up): <-95dBu
- Enclosure: 19" 3RU, depth: 280mm
- Power supply: 90-120V, 200-250V, 50/60Hz, 20W