An ideal workstation for any style of piano playing with expertly created, in-demand sounds.
The Krome Music Workstation provides full-length, unlooped samples of each key for an amazing piano sound. This 61-key keyboard workstation redefines what it means to be an instrument in this class. Taking its title from the Greek word meaning "color," Krome provides users with aural excellence in a gigging musician’s keyboard, enabling a limitless palette of sound to bring vivid inspiration music.
In addition to Korg’s well-vetted workstation features, Krome boasts a meticulously chosen selection of the highest quality sounds available today for indispensable keyboard instruments such as piano and electric piano, as well as essential and dynamic drum kits, giving users the absolute best of the basics. These highly useful piano, electric piano, and drum sounds alone set Krome apart from the competitors. With sound quality and functions normally found in far more expensive instruments, Krome aspires to set a whole new standard of value, and become a one of a kind and irreplaceable partner for real-world musicians.
Piano sounds are essential for nearly every keyboard instrument. Krome borrows from the impressive "German D Grand" which was created for the Kronos flagship. In addition to the rich full sound of 61 full-length un-looped stereo samples, damper resonance has also been included. In fact, the amount of PCM memory taken up just by this "German D Grand" alone takes up several times – even several tens of times – more memory than the entire PCM memory found in a typical workstation or PCM synthesizer. Unless the original sound is perfect, no amount of parameter tweaking can create an accurate playing experience. The Krome’s piano is an prime example of Korg's passion for every musician to have great sounds played on great instruments. This resonant, authentic, and realistic piano epitomizes a huge increase in the standard of quality for this class of keyboard.
For many keyboardists, the electric piano sound is every bit as critical as the acoustic piano sound. Krome features three styles of electric pianos. Eight velocity levels have been included to ensure accurate response to the player's expression. Abundant amounts of PCM memory have been utilized for this purpose, to the extent that just a single one of these electric piano styles contains more sample data than the entire sound memory of other PCM synthesizers. In addition, the vintage amplifiers, cabinets, and classic effects so integral to these classic sounds have been realistically emulated, making sure that everything from the touch to the final sound will be breathtakingly realistic.
The included drum kits play a huge role in song production on any music workstation. Krome has included the same Jazz Ambience Drums that are on the Korg Kronos. Making use of the high-capacity PCM memory, these sounds feature a dramatically high level of response and realism. Setting the mix balance between the direct sound (close mic'ed) and the ambient sound (recorded from a distant mic to capture the tone of the room), enables users to create a rich, full drum sound that has the exact balance and character desired.
In addition to piano, electric piano, and drums, Krome has a wide array of sounds useful for a broad range of musical styles. Stimulate creativity by choosing any of the 640 Programs or 288 Combinations. Each one has been skillfully crafted by professional studio and performing musicians to provide impressive real-world use for both rich full backing parts or ripping solos. Users can tweak, customize, create, and store their own sounds as well.
Simply pressing a button activates Drum Track function, which provides realistic grooves played by professionals using the Krome’s high-quality drum sounds. Play along for practice or use them in music production. In addition to more than 600 preset patterns taken from the Kronos, there's plenty of room for saving user patterns. Drum patterns can be made and used with the sequencer, as well as providing a rhythm guide while users play, or they can be used creatively in live performances.
In Combination mode or Sequencer mode, two arpeggiators can run simultaneously. In addition to standard arpeggio patterns, these arpeggiators are able to generate guitar or bass riffs, drum patterns, or can even be used as building blocks for sound design, to generate pads, synth sounds, and sound effects which include subtle motion. Users are also free to edit any of the patterns to create custom originals.
Krome features a full range of the features that users come to expect from a Korg workstation, beginning with the 16-track sequencer. But there’s so much more. Krome comes complete with a rich array of tools to jumpstart the creative process. There's the convenient Auto Song Setup feature; if inspiration strikes while playing a program or combination, just press the REC switch to begin recording right away. Each Template Song assigns popular sounds to sequencer tracks run through pre-routed effects to match a specific musical genre. Produce lightning-fast arrangements with Korg’s Cue List, and build an army of instant-access patterns with the RPPR (Realtime Pattern/Play Recording) function. Go back and you can make any changes using the convenient piano-roll editing.
The undeniably integral effect section provides up to five Insert effects, two Master effects, and one Total effect. On top of great choruses, wet flangers, thick phasers, drippy delays, and cavernous reverbs, the 193 different effect types include dynamic processing effects like compressor and limiter, expressive effects like the Grain Shifter and Talking Modulator, as well as amp modeling and speaker simulation effects which use Korg’s proprietary “REMS” modeling technology.
Krome 61 and 73 models boast a semi-weighted natural-touch keyboard; the natural feel and response are perfect for playing everything from different styles of piano, to dynamic organ performance, to incendiary synthesizer solos. Krome 88 is armed with Korg’s NH (Natural Weighted Hammer Action) keyboard, making sure that every nuance of the playing dynamics will be accurately reflected when playing sounds like piano or electric piano.
The sleek dark colored body provides Krome with an elegantly curved profile. The top control panel is made with two aluminum panels of differing design. The result is a unique appearance that projects its unmistakable presence, even on a crowded stage. In both visually and aurally, Krome will make a lasting impression on any audience.
Krome’s giant 800 x 480 pixel TouchView Color display can show several parameters at the same time, ensuring great visibility. Simply touch the screen to switch sounds or edit parameters. Finger-drag editing is supported as well, allowing users to use the onscreen sliders and knobs directly. Many functions make use of the TouchView interface, like the piano roll editor, a stopwatch which is convenient for keeping track of a live performance, and a calculator keypad which is convenient for entering numerical values.
Users can connect Krome to a computer over USB to easily transfer MIDI data. Users can also use an SD card (commercially available) to organize the Krome’s data files.
The Krome Editor and Krome Plug-In Editor enable users to edit their Krome from a computer while viewing large numbers of parameters at the same time, or to use Krome in a DAW as if it were a software synthesizer plugin. Users can download the latest version of the Krome sound editor directly from the Korg website.
- 61-key: Natural Touch Semi Weighted keyboard (*velocity sensitive is supported, after touch is not supported)
- EDS-X (Enhanced Definition Synthesis-eXpanded)
- Kronos-derived full-length, unlooped piano and drum sounds, plus new electric pianos designed to shine on stage
- Electric pianos with eight-level velocity switching for unmatched expressive power
- Clear, intuitive control with Korg’s exclusive 7" color TouchView display
- Drums offering separately mixable direct and ambient sounds for studio-grade quality
- Drum Track plays back realistic, inspiring grooves at the touch of a button
- Expertly created, in-demand sounds including 640 Programs and 288 Combinations
- Powerful Effects with 5 Inserts, 2 Master, and 1 Total FX, plus per track/timbre EQ
- Distinctive aluminum panel design exudes a sense of quality
- USB connection to your computer, plus an SD Card slot for data storage
- You can use the Krome editor to edit sounds on your computer
- Maximum Polyphony: 120 voices (120 Oscillators) / Single Mode; 60 voices (120 Oscillators) / Double Mode
- *The maximum simultaneous voice polyphony will vary depending on oscillator settings such as stereo multisamples and velocity crossfading
- PCM Memory: 3.8GB (In case of 48kHz, 16-bit Linear PCM converted); 1,077 Multisamples (Including 7 stereo multi-samples); 1,609 Drumsamples (Including 116 sereo Drumsamples)
- OSC1 (Single); OSC1 + 2 (Double): Stereo multisamples are supported
- 8 velocity zones per oscillator with switching, crossfades and layers
- Four types of filter routing (single, serial, parallel, 24dB)
- Two multi-mode filters per oscillator (low pass, high pass, band pass, band reject)
- Per-voice nonlinear driver and low boost
- Three bands, with sweepable mid
- For each oscillator: two envelope generators (Filter & Amp)
- Two LFOs
- Two key tracking generators (Filter & Amp)
- Two AMS mixers
- Pitch EG
- Common LFO
- Two common key tracking generators
- Max: 16 Timbres,
- For each Timbre: keyboard and velocity split/layer/crossfades
- Modifications to the program settings via the Tone Adjust function
- Master keyboard functionality
- It’s available for controlling external MIDI devices
- Drum kit
- Stereo and mono drum samples
- 8 velocity zones switch (crossfades and layers)
Combination / Program / Drum Kit
- User: 512 Combination (288 Preload)
- User: 768 Program (640 Preload)
- User: 48 Drum Kit (32 Preload)
- Preset: 256 GM2 Program + 9 GM2 Drums Program
- 5 Insert Effects (stereo in/out)
- 2 Master Effects (stereo in/out)
- 1 Total Effect (stereo in/out)
- 3-band EQ per in 1 Timbre / in 1 Track
- Effect Types: 193 types, Modulation, Dynamic Modulation, 2 Common LFO, Effects Control Busses, Stereo side chain (Limiter, Gate, Vocoder, etc)
- Effect Preset: 32 presets per effect
- Program Mode
- 1 unit
- Combination, Sequencer Mode
- 2 units are available.
- Number of pattern
- 1,028 User Arpeggio pattern (900 Preload)
- 5 preset Arpeggio pattern
- User: 1,000 patterns
- Pattern created in Sequencer mode can be converted to drum track user pattern
- Configurable “Trigger Mode / Sync / Zone”
- Preset: 637 patterns
- Common with the preset pattern of the Sequencer mode
- 16-track MIDI Sequencer + 1 master track
- Number of Songs
- 128 Songs
- 40.00 - 300.00 (1/100 BPM resolution)
- Maximum memory
- 210,000 MIDI events
- Template Song
- 16 preset / 16 user template songs
- Cue List function
- 20 Cue List
- Songs can be arranged consecutively or repeatedly in up to 99 steps, a cue list can be converted back into a song.
- 637 Preset / 100 User pattern (Per song)
- RPPR (Realtime Pattern Play and Recording)
- 1 pattern set per song
- KORG (Krome) format, SMF format 0 and 1
- Load, Save, Utility, Data filer functionality (Save and Load MIDI System Exclusive Data)
- *Joystick, SW , SW 
- *Realtime Control
- [SELECT] Switch:
- REALTIME CONTROL (TONE, USER), ARP
- 4 Knobs;
- REALTIME CONTROL: Real-time Modulation, Arpeggio control
- *Drum Track
- [DRUM TRACK] Switch On/Off
- [ARP] Switch On/Off
- Touch view graphical User Interface
- 7" Color TFT LCD, 800 x 480 pixel
- Onboard LCD brightness control
- Mode Switch
- [COMBI], [PROG], [SEQ], [GLOBAL], [MEDIA] Switch
- VALUE controller
- [VALUE] Dial, [INC], [DEC] Switch, 10 key block ( - , [-], [.], [ENTER], [COMPARE])
- BANK Switch
- [A], [B], [C], [D], [E], [F] switch (in Combination mode, [A], [B], [C], [D] switch are available)
- SEQUENCER switch
- [PAUSE], [REW], [FF], [LOCATE], [REC], [START / STOP]
- [TEMPO] knob, [TAP] switch
- [PAGE] switch, [WRITE] switch, [EXIT] switch, [VOLUME] knob, Contrast knob
- AUDIO OUTPUT (L / MONO, R)
- 6.3mm (Mono) Phone jack, Unbalanced
- Output Impedance: 1.1[kΩ] (L / Mono terminal: in case of Mono output, = 550[Ω])
- Maximum level: +16.0 [dBu], Load Impedance: more than 10 [kΩ].
- Headphone Output
- 3.5mmStereo phone jack
- Output Impedance: 33[Ω], Maximum level: 60 + 60[mW] (In case of 33[Ω] Loaded)
- Control Input
- DAMPER pedal (Half Damper supported)
- ASSIGNABLE SWITCH
- ASSIGNABLE PEDAL
- MIDI IN, MIDI OUT
- USB; USB-MIDI Interface (TYPE B) x 1S
- SD Card Slot
- Max: 2GB / SD Memory Card is supported
- Max: 32GB/ SDHC Memory Card is supported
- (SDXC Memory Card is not supported)
Questions on Krome 61 Keyboard Workstation
No questions asked yet
Ask Your Own Question
- Number of Keys: 61
- Type of Keys: Semi-weighted
- Other Controllers: Pitchbend, Mod Wheel, 4 x rotary encoders
- Polyphony: 120 voices (single mode), 60 voices (double mode)
- Number of Presets: 640 sounds, 288 combination patches
- Expansion: No expansion
- Number of Effects: 193
- Arpeggiator: Yes
- MIDI Sequencer: 16
- MIDI I/O, Plug-in editor
- Number of Audio Inputs: 0
- Number of Audio Outputs: 3
- Audio Output Types: 2 x TS, 1 x 1/8" headphone
- MIDI In/Out
- 1 x Damper Pedal Input
- Dimensions (HxWxD): 3.66", 40.43", 12.32"
- Weight: 15.87 lbs.