Just like the original Dr. Octature, the basis of the module is a 4-pole LPF inspired by the classic “cascaded ota” design, but realized instead with superior-quality 2164 vcas.
The sound is very reminiscent of classic Roland filters such as the one found on the SH-101 or Jupiter-6.
The “octature” refers to the 8 distinct, phase separated outputs (every 45 degrees, or two sets of four 180-degree shifted outputs). each pair has a different slope: 6db, 12db, 18db and 24dB.
This filter was designed by David Dixon with a special resonance distribution mode called “QUAD” that results in an especially fat and warm LPF sound that is consistently balanced with respect to the resonance on all 8 outputs.
When self oscillating this filter becomes an excellently clean sine wave VCO capable of tracking over several octaves. It can also operate in LFO mode where the phase shifted outputs become extremely useful for creative modulation. Use it to make your Planar spin in circles for example!
New in this version is an input soft clipping circuit to help warm up and boost sounds before filtering them.
- Four different filter slope outputs, -6dB, -12dB, -18dB, and -24dB
- Resonance can be used as a sinewave VCO
- Resonance VCO can be put into LFO mode
- Eight phase shifted outputs for octature LFO's
- VC control for cutoff frequency and resonance amount
- Sine wave resonance tracks musically 5 octaves
- Soft clipping circuit for subtle wave shaping and gain boost
Questions on Dr. Octature II VCF / VCO - 14HP
No questions asked yet
Ask Your Own Question
- Eurorack Module
- Width: 14 HP
- Depth: 38mm
- Power 72mA @ +/- 12v