All Software Sales Are Final: There will be NO REFUNDS or EXCHANGES accepted. It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser to ensure that the correct products are ordered.
Note: This product is a digital download. You will receive your authorization serial number by email in one business day.
8 Bit Kit is an add-on pack for FXpansion's BFD2 and BFD Eco software drum systems, offering exciting new flavours for your productions. Recorded at The Sound Factory in Los Angeles, 8 Bit Kit is the brainchild of S. Husky Hoskulds, recording engineer for such diverse artists as Tom Waits, Fantômas, Solomon Burke, Joe Henry, Sheryl Crow, The Wallflowers and many more.
This collection of drums, cymbals, hi-hats, percussion and electronics features dozens of unique, vintage, handmade and exotic kit pieces, all captured by a strange and wonderful array of microphones. What makes 8 Bit Kit sonically unique is the way the drums were prepared, tuned and hit. The kicks are recorded using various unorthodox techniques including chains attached to the front head, detuned, or even hit with a paint roller. Some of the snares have been modified by Husky himself, fitted with calf-skin and Kevlar heads; hi-hats are aged, cracked, mis-matched or warped. An esoteric percussion palette includes African hand drums and Moroccan tambourines mic’ed from both above and below, as well as a range of claps, stomps, junk percussion and even a Fight Bell.
The 8 Bit Kit expansion also includes original recordings made directly from selected vintage analog drum machines of the 70s and 80s. 8 Bit Kit captures the original hardware both dry, and played out over a custom PA rig in the same acoustic space used for the rest of the recording session. These are great tools for layering to add grit and punch to your drum tracks.
Certain 8 Bit Kit sounds are also provided in processed, boosted versions; a few select pieces have been treated further to add grit and punch – more distortion, more compression, more texture, more 8 Bit! The microphones used are as unique as the drums themselves, including parabolic “Spy Mics”, Calrec Soundfield stereo mics, and mics with gramophone horns attached. The room used at Sound Factory studios offers an intimate, tight sound that also integrates well with the bigger rooms found in the original BFD and BFD2 libraries.
- Kicks: a selection of vintage and custom rarities, including a floor tom configured as a kick
- Snares: various custom/signature and marching snares, including an early 1900s snare with wood hoops
- Toms: roto-toms (two sets), frame drums configured as toms (two sets)
- Cymbals: stainless steel hand made x5, saucepan lids, mis-matched 13.5”-on-14” hi hat
- Percussion: bongos, 13” and 15” African hand drums, Moroccan tambourine, 10” punch bowl, fight bell
- Drum Machines: LM-1, Drumtraks, x0x classics and more
Questions on BFD Expansion - 8 Bit Kit
No questions asked yet
Ask Your Own Question
- 8 Bit Kit is now available in a BFD Eco-specific download. The download size is around 800MB, with a fully installed size of 4.08 GB. This version features all data pre-reduced for BFD Eco limitations (16-bit audio with a maximum of 24 velocity layers). Also, the Artist Grooves are now available for use in BFD Eco.
The download area features 2 sets of installation files
- The BFD Eco version is 1 file of approx 800MB
- The BFD2 version is 8 files of varying sizes