The Rane AM2 is both an 8 channel, gain-sharing automatic mic mixer and simultaneously a Rane RAD. Use it as a standalone mic-only mixer, add more gain-shared mics using up to seven additional AM2 Automixers, and/or use the RAD Port to transport the mic mix to Rane's HAL System. If you need manually mixed line audio sources, including USB Audio I/O, see the Rane AM1 Automixer.
Each of the eight XLR Mic Inputs offers front panel input Level controls feeding a gain-sharing automatic mixer. Rear panel, 3-position selectors support dynamic mics (no phantom power), condenser mics (48 V), or line input optimized for wireless receiver outputs (+10 dBu max). All Level controls come with front panel signal and overload indicators.
The AM2 is optimized for automixing speech. The mic inputs have a fixed 100 Hz to 7 kHz bandpass filter to provide the best voice-only automatic mixing using the gain-sharing algorithm.
The XLR Main Output can be set to mic- or line-level to feed a mic snake or a +20 dBu max balanced input. When an AM2 is used standalone, both the XLR Output and the RAD Port output audio are affected by the front panel Output Level control. When the AM2’s Cascade Output feeds a downstream Rane AM1 or AM2, the front panel Output Level control only affects the XLR Output.
The USB port is solely used as a firmware update port if future updates are needed. If you need USB Audio in or out, cascade an AM2 with an AM1.
The RAD Port sends the AM2 Output mix to a Rane Mongoose or HAL System. Cascade IN accepts audio and data from an upstream AM2’s Cascade OUT. This adds eight more mic channels to the initial AM 2 creating a 16-channel gain-sharing automix. A maximum of eight AM2s can be cascaded, offering up to 64 gain-shared mics. If an AM1 is included, it must be the final device in the chain of no more than eight. Simply connect Cascade OUT ports to Cascade IN ports and the AM1 RAD Port to the HAL or Mongoose. Both the Cascade IN port and the Cascade OUT/RAD Port have status indicators to aid setup and troubleshooting. Rear panel Fault, Locate, USB and Power indicators inform head-scratchers of device errors, the AM2’s physical location, positive USB audio device OS registration and AC power status. Duplicate Locate and Power indicators on the front help installers physically locate and verify AC power to the AM2.
- Gain-Sharing Automatic Mic Mixing: 8 XLR Inputs with Level controls & Sig/OL indicators (Each can be Mic, Mic with 48V phantom, or Line-level)
- Add up to 64 more gain-sharing inputs by cascading AM2 Automixers
- Add USB audio, a line input and a headphone cue amp by cascading an AM1 Automixer
Outputs (all mono):
- XLR Main with Mic/Line switch, Level control & Sig/OL
- Rane RAD and Cascade IN RJ-45 Ports: Cascade In Port connects up to seven Rane AM2 Automixers
- RAD Port may send Output to Mongoose (CobraNet)
- RAD Port may send Output to HAL (DSP/control). It is possible to cascade the AM2 mix into Halogen's Gain-Sharing Auto Mixer or Room Combine Processor DSP, so that all mics connected to HAL may gain-share (does not work with the AM1)
Questions on AM2 Automixer
No questions asked yet
Ask Your Own Question
- Width: 19" Rack standard
- Height: 1 Rack Unit
- Size: 1.75"H x 19"W x 8.5"D
- Weight: 5 lb 4 oz
- Power Requirement: 100 to 240 VAC, 50/60Hz 13W